SportDog is another company under the umbrella of parent company Radio Systems Corporation. This branch of the company is geared toward hunters. Just about everyone on the staff is a hunter. It’s very obvious they are avid and passionate hunters by the products they offer and the photos on their website. They are well known for their remote training systems for hunting dogs.
This site is about dog fences, so I’ll only focus on their excellent underground dog fence. This system can be expanded to cover up to 100 acres of property. It can also be used to protect multiple dogs.
The package includes enough wire for about an acre of land. It also includes and one collar. So if you want to expand the fence to accommodate more land or multiple dogs, you’ll need to purchase extra wire or extra collars.
SportDOG has an excellent in-ground dog fence. SDF-100A (short for Sport Dog Fence 100 Acres) The system is loaded with features that I have listed below:
- Have built-in lightning protection
- Are for dogs over 10 pounds
- Include 1000 feet of wire and 100 flags
- Will expand to 100 acres (with purchase of more wire)
- Can be used for any number of dogs (must purchase additional collars)
- Have a wire break transmitter alarm to let you know if there is a break in the buried wire.
- Comes with both long and short contacts (long contacts used on dogs with thick coats.
- Includes product guide with training and operating Information.
- Includes charging adapter
This Underground System has Two Upgrades
Throughout this site I’ve always recommended getting a thicker boundary wire. The system reviewed above comes with 20 AWG. AWG stands for American Wire Gauge. It’s the standardized wire gauge system used in North America. The lower the gauge number, the thicker the wire. The dog fence system I reviewed above has two upgrades. The SDF-100A with 16 AWG and the SDF-100A with 14 AWG. Other than the thickness of the wire, the three systems are identical.